Saturday, October 15, 2011

becoming tyrande

to anyone who came here because of reddit:  yes i am aware of the mean image that sent you here.  i really don't need to be reminded of it in the comments on my own blog.  please be kind enough to keep hurtful comments to yourself.  it's bad enough that there is already a thread on your own website about it, i don't need that here on mine.

i haven't update you all on my costume in a little while, so i'm fixing that today.  i have all of my make up and prosthetics now, and i'm probably eighty five percent done with the dress.  when i got the dress, it was a spaghetti strap with an open chest.  i converted it to a halter tops, and used this see through like fabric to cover the neck and chest.  as for my overall transformation, here's a step-by-step of the process i need to go through.  the whole thing takes a little over an hour to finish.

so here's me, all make up free and such and still looking like a normal person.  when ever you are doing any kind of stage make up, start with a clean face.


in case you are wondering why it takes me an hour to get ready, remember i'm doing full body paint.  oh and all this stuff, is just for my face.


first i'm using scar wax to cover my eyebrows.  after that has dried, like really, really dried, use your normal foundation to blend it in.  don't put the foundation on before it sets or it will smudge all weird.


now comes the body paint.  my scar wax and both shades of paint are by ben nye.  the shade i'm using all over is amethyst, and is a powder that can be applied either wet or dry.  i applied it dry with a make up sponge.  the face markings are from the fx line and the color is grey purple.  it's a cream that i applied with an eye shadow brush.


next comes the contacts.  ideally, it is better to put contacts in before any make up is applied, but considering i can't see as well with them in and i kinda want me face makings even, i just (carefully) put them in after.  for my lips i used the same paint as i did for the markings. 


now is when i would put my wig cap on, but i couldn't find it so i'm temporarily making due without one.  because of how my ears attach, i'm putting those on before my wig.  also note that i have my hair pinned up so it lays flat under the wig. 


next comes the dress.  before i put that on, i sprayed a sealant over the body paint to minimize paint transfer onto my dress.  i'm putting this on before my wig also, since it's a halter top and easier to tie up and attach the neck piece without long blue hair in the way. 


finally, i put my wig on.  after the wig is positioned where i want it, i apply my fake eyelashes and my eyebrows.  i'm putting these one after the wig so the hairs don't snag on them while i'm adjusting it.  oh and i'm using hair extension feathers for my eyebrows, attached with a little spirit gum.


and that's how i'm becoming tyrande whisperwind.  i'm still going to be adding a few extra details, like a moon circlet, and some extras to the dress, but at least now you're caught up on my progress.  feel free to contact me if you want any tips for your own costumes.  aside from blizzcon, halloween is just around the corner :)


No comments:

Post a Comment